I am always looking for a bargain. And when it comes to food, I would totally love to be able to eat organic and keep it on the cheap side. I mean, who wouldn’t? It’s better for you, it’s better for the earth — it’s a good deal all the way around.
But, unfortunately, organic food can be pricey and I don’t have the dough to always be buying produce of the luxurious kind.
According to the article, the Top 12 Foods are as follows:
- Beef – According to the Environmental Protection Agency, meat contains higher levels of pesticides than any plant foods.
- Milk – Hormones, antibiotics, ewww!
- Coffee – Buy Fair Trade beans which ensures that no pesticides and chemicals were used, and that farm workers were treated fairly.
- Peaches – Forty-five different pesticides are used on these babies!
- Apples – Organic apples are chemical free, and taste sweeter. — Yum!
- Green Peppers – One of the most heavily sprayed veggies.
- Celery – This green vegetable does not even have a skin to protect it from chemicals.
- Strawberries – FIVE HUNDRED pesticides are used per acre of this fruit crop — need I say more?!
- Lettuce – This leafy green is contaminated with what are considered the most powerful pesticides used on food.
- Grapes – The fruit’s skin is so thin that even washing and peeling will not eliminate the pesticides that seep into grapes.
- Potatoes – Idaho’s best are ranked the highest for pesticide residue.
- Tomatoes – Chemicals will eventually saturate the whole tomato, again, because of the fruit’s thin skin.
This article really made me think, and I feel a bit better knowing my options. Unfortunately, at this point in my life everything I put into my body is not going to be organic; it just does not help to balance my checkbook! But if I can eliminate from my diet some of the very obvious sources of chemicals and not break the bank, then I will be happy with that for now.
So, do you think double-fudge, chocolate ice cream is organic, too?